Thursday, August 11, 2016

Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 10/Verse 23

रुद्राणां शंकरश्चास्मि वित्तेशो यक्षरक्षसाम् ।


वसूनां पावकश्चास्मि मेरुः शिखरिणामहम् ॥१०- २३॥

rudrāṇāṃ śaṃkaraścāsmi vitteśo yakṣarakṣasām ।

vasūnāṃ pāvakaścāsmi meruḥ śikhariṇāmaham ॥10- 23॥

I am Shiva of the Rudras and I am Vittesha of the Yakshas and Rakshas.  I am Agni of the Vasus and I am Mt. Meru of the mountains. 



rudrāṇām (masculine, genitive, plural) = of the Rudras (the gods of destruction and renewal) 


śaṃkaras (masculine, nominative, singular) = Shiva (chief of the gods of renewal and destruction)


ca (conjunction) (indeclinable) = and 


asmi (present tense, 1st person, singular) = I am 


vitteśas (masculine, nominative, singular) = Vittesha (lord of wealth)  


yakṣarakṣasām (yakṣa + rakṣasām) (masculine, genitive, plural) = of the Yakshas and Rakshas 



vasūnām (masculine, genitive, plural) = of the Vasus (a class of gods)

pāvakas (masculine, nominative, singular) = Agni (God of Fire)


ca (conjunction) (indeclinable) = and 


asmi (present tense, 1st person, singular) = I am 


merus (masculine, nominative, singular) = Mt. Meru


śikhariṇām (masculine, genitive, plural) = of the mountains  


aham (pronoun, 1st person, nominative, singular) = I am   



No comments:

Post a Comment